Thursday, September 16, 2010

awwww

Ken send this post to me while browsing thru reddit. Thought i should share this touching story here…

I've known my girlfriend for a very long time.
When I was young, like 2 or 3 years old, my mother used to take me to a playgroup type place. It was just a hall where parents and preschoolers would go to socialise. I'd show up a few times a week and I'd hang out in the back room where we weren't supposed to go with all the other rebel 3 year olds.
There was a girl there - the one on the left in that picture. She was really sweet. Whenever I went to playgroup, I'd try to impress her. With pick-up skills decades beyond my years, I'd chat her up all the time. I was never a 'cooties' kind of guy, so the lack of a fear of girls was a huge pick-up advantage at 3 years old.
Anyway, this girl was special to me. No one was allowed to pick on her. Our parents became friends and our fathers used to tease us playfully about how we were boyfriend and girlfriend. We both denied it, but secretly, I think we both liked the idea.
But I was still totally into her! That was just me playing hard-to-get. I had my moments of weakness where I showed how I really felt.
At 5 years old, I asked her to marry me. As if you guys think she said no.
But time goes on and 5 year olds turn into 11 year olds. People move houses, and childhood romances are put down to games of 'doctor' and 'murder in the dark.
We still saw each other every now and then. About twice a year her family would go on holidays near my family, and we'd catch up.
On, we went into our teen years, still seeing each other occasionally, and always with the same kind of feelings. But again, at 15, nothing like that can work. I had girlfriends, she had boyfriends. How could it have worked?
Three years went by before I saw her again.
My sister was going to go on student exchange to Italy and her family decided that they were going to say goodbye before she left. I was convinced that nothing was going to be there between us. Three weeks prior, the messiest relationship imaginable had ended for me, and I was not doing good. I was still pretty excited to catch up with her, though.
The moment she walked through my front door, I was in love again. It was pathetic. 20 years old and I spent the whole night secretly hoping she would touch my hand. I was so taken by her that when she left, I felt compelled to send her a message telling her how I felt. I told her I was sorry if it was creepy, but I just thought she should know.
Her response: "Wow. That was unexpected. I can't believe you've felt the same way that I have for all this time. I felt like I was making such an idiot of myself at your place, and you'd never want to see me again."
Old tricks never fail and a little over a month later, we were dating.

No comments: